[Headline, Huffington Post]
1. Anything dead that you aren’t going to eat.
2. Anything that will incriminate you or other family members in a felony.
3. The thing farthest back in the ice box.
4. The monster under the bed.
5. The dust bunnies (aka “slut’s wool”) under the bed.
6. Uncle Charlie.
7. Great-grandma Myrtle
8. Broken glass on the floor, especially in front of the sink and around the toilet.
9. Any chair that no one has sat on over the past year.
10. Make that the past, oh, six months.
11. The contents of any drawer unopened in the past five years.
12. Glassware from the very back of the top kitchen shelf.
13. Spices you’ve never used, such as epazote, fenugreek, and machalepi.
14. All those wedding gifts stored in the attic.
15. Bottles of alcoholic products with less than a quarter-inch of fluid in the bottom.
16. Hair in the bathroom sink and tub. Once it has fallen out, it’s of no further use to you.
17. Any homeless people living on or about your premises without your knowledge or permission, although you don’t want to be a meany about it. Perhaps sit down with them for a cup of coffee or a cocktail, discuss their situation, see what you can work out. Try to make it win/win. Maybe they can babysit your newborn infant, for example.
18. Speaking of newborn infants, don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater, ha ha.
19. Old hair nets.
20. Unmatched socks. Be ruthless.
21. Solved rebuses.
22. Solved mazes.
23. Solved crossword puzzles.
24. Those annoying unsolved interlocking iron rings.
25. Any toilet brushes with the bristles worn down to nubbins.
26. Engine blocks in the garage, if you’re absolutely sure that you’re not going to go ahead and rebuild them.
27. Used motor oil.
28. Dead batteries.
29. All those spare vacuum tubes in a shoebox in the closet.
30. Anything tangled that you’ll probably never untangle.
31. Anything broken that you’ll probably never fix.
32. Something that you’ve always hated but nobody else in the house does. Take it out in the dead of night, whatever it is, and smash it to flinders. Spend a few minutes gloating over the remains.
33. Whoa. Don’t let #32 get out of hand there.
34. It’s time to start looking at your personal situation. Why are you relying on us to tell you what to do? We’re not your mother!. You’ll notice that “Take out the trash” isn’t on this list. Did you do it? No? You’re hopeless!
35. That picture on the wall in the living room… No, the other one… Do the world a favor. Burn it.
36. You listen to Rush Limbaugh? Throw out all of your radios.
37. Go out on the front porch, turn around, step back inside, and begin grabbing objects one by one as you encounter them. Carry or push each one to the door and chuck it out onto the porch… Jeez, you’re doing it! I was just kidding. You really are impossible.
Filed under: Daily Life, Headlines, Home Life, Humor, Short stuff | Tagged: home, Humor, writing | 3 Comments »